Skip to content

Charlie Thornton was a square dance caller and popular auctioneer

His farm was the first farm south of Highway 11 in Oro Township and after selling it, he moved into Orillia and was often found at the Rainbow Room
Cedarhedge Farm, owned by Charles H. Thornton, was the first farm south of Highway 11, located on the 9th Line of Oro Township.

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.

Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.

Cedarhedge Farm was the first farm south of Highway 11 on the 9th Line in Oro Township and was owned by Charles H. Thornton. 

Charlie was one of the best square dance callers in the area and starting in 1940 until the late 1950s, he was the only auctioneer in the area. 

By 1955 Charlie had sold his farm and moved to 108 Neywash St. in Orillia. For the next 20 years, he continued to call dances and organize on-site farm and estate auctions in the area.  

For many years he would hold auctions every few weeks at the Rainbow Room, located on the corner of Memorial Avenue and Rose Avenue. Owned by Charlie Andrews, the Rainbow Room was also called Andrews Dance Pavilion until being relocated to the west side of the property, by the Moose Hall, to make way for the construction of the Knights Inn in 1974. 

Charlie Thornton had a large following and knew how to excite and entertain an audience. Many Orillians can remember when several times a night he would break away from his rhythmic bid chant into a high-pitched singsong capturing the attention of the delighted audience.

Charles H. Thornton had a stroke in 1976 and passed away in 1984.