The giving season is upon us. It seems the time of year when our minds and hearts turn to those who have less or are going through difficult circumstances, a time of giving back to instead of getting more.
Charles Dickens famous book, A Christmas Carol, sums up the giving spirit of the greater Orillia area well: “Mankind was my business; charity; mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business”.
We are privileged to live in such a giving and charitable community. The Lighthouse is so grateful for the ways that our community rallied together to close our capital campaign, Building Hope, in April 2021.
One of our sheltered participants, told us today: “My husband and I came to seek shelter and the shelter was full, so the staff were kind to give us sleeping bags and hot paws in order to keep us warm. We are in the shelter now getting support and I feel so much hope for the first time in years.”
This female participant is also taking part in decorating trees for the “Streets Alive” Christmas project and is so excited to be using her crafting skills again after so many years that she didn’t have the ambition to use those gifts.
Now is the time for us to come together to provide for the ongoing operations and we have several unique ways that givers can show their support, whether you’d like an item to wrap up, a non-monetary item to contribute to The Lighthouse operations, a gift in honour or in memory of a loved one, or a gift that lasts all year long.
“We are seeing lives transformed, hope being built and more people seeking our assistance than ever before, but we cannot do it all alone, so we are providing several unique ways for the community to show their support this holiday season,” stated Lynn Thomas, Development & Communications manager.
Choose your gift:
- Become a monthly Lighthouse Keeper for any amount $20 $50, $100 etc. – the gift that gives all year long!
- Visit our Pop Up Shop on Thursday afternoons starting Nov. 25 – Dec. 23, 12 - 5 p.m. at the Wagner Meeting room in The Lighthouse – shoppers can pick up new Lighthouse branded ornaments, mugs, Christmas ornaments, new handmade items donated by generous community members
- O.C. Emporium Inc. soy Lighthouse candle - $29
- Pick up a few non-monetary items from our Holiday Wish List located on the home page of our website at orillialighthouse.ca (drop off at our main reception 75 Queen St. E., Orillia)
- Holiday Wish List Concert - Join us on Dec. 11 at St. Paul’s Centre for a third-party fundraising concert, with live “country rock” music by “The Steel Horse Gypsies” & “New Moon Junction”. Admission is minimum donation of $20 or an item from our Holiday Wish List. Doors open at 7 p.m., concert starts at 8 p.m.
For more information about any of The Lighthouse Christmas and holiday giving options, contact Lynn Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org 705-329-2265, extension 111.