One of the Barrie region’s largest private employers says it's bringing back some previously laid-off employees and there are hopes more may be back in the workforce soon, too.
Napoleon Group announced today that 30 workers within the Barrie manufacturing facilities will be recalled from temporary layoff.
“It's a very positive announcement and one that I had hoped we could make when we had to lay off (workers) late last year,” Napoleon president Mike Tzimas said. “It's great to get some of our hard-working associates back and start the year off.”
Napoleon, which is one of North America's largest privately owned manufacturers of fireplaces, grills, outdoor living, heating and cooling products, temporarily laid off approximately 100 employees in November 2022, less than two months after 80 workers were previously let go in September.
Tzimas said the returning staff are from the November layoffs. The September cuts were terminated.
“November layoffs were temporary and were based on our forecast at the time," he said. "We knew there was a strong potential for even a portion of them to come back, and we are clearly experiencing that now."
A news release from the company, issued Monday, says it anticipates "more manufacturing associates will be brought back to the business in a phased approach based on business needs.”
Tzimas said he didn’t want to guess how many staff may or may not come back still, but did say Napoleon will continue to stay in tune with the market as time goes on.
All impacted associates were notified last week and will begin their first shifts today (Feb. 6).