COUNTY OF SIMCOE
May is Museum Month and an excellent opportunity for residents to visit the Simcoe County Museum and experience our regional culture and heritage. Starting on May 1, the Museum Month program will provide exciting entertainment for all ages through informative and engaging activities and programs.
“The Museum is a hidden gem, and it’s a lasting tribute to the County’s unique history and culture,” said Warden George Cornell. “Please join us to celebrate Museum Month as we host a number of activities, programs and showcase our tremendous exhibits.”
Simcoe County Museum is celebrating Museum Month with the following programs:
- Heritage and Display Buildings - Simcoe County Museum is home to 10 heritage buildings that have been relocated to the Museum grounds from various locations around Simcoe County. Opening on May 1, this exhibit illustrates daily life and the growth and development of the area. Check out the 1834 Spearin Log Home, 1922 Cedar View Cottage, and our schoolhouse, which was featured in the filming of the 1985 Anne of Green Gables movies
- Saturday Afternoon Tours - In May, the County Museum is offering Saturday Afternoon Tours. These tours will be available for visitors on a first come, first served basis, and will offer a “behind the ropes” tour of the museum’s galleries and select storage areas. Tour times are 1:30 p.m. and 3:15 p.m., and are 45 minutes in length
- Clovis Exhibit - Clovis, the Caribou Hunters, is a travelling exhibit from Musée Nature Sciences in Sherbrooke, Quebec. This interactive exhibit is scheduled to open on May 11, and leaps back 12,000 years to bring visitors to the tundra to discover the lifestyles of the first nomadic peoples to have travelled in the southeast of Canada. Click here for more information on the Clovis exhibit
About Museum Month
Celebrated annually since 2000, May is Museum Month is a program of the Ontario Museum Association and celebrated by Ontario’s 700+ museums, galleries, and heritage sites.
May is Museum Month coincides with International Museum Day on May 18, a worldwide initiative of the International Council of Museums to highlight the importance of the role of museums as institutions that serve society and its development. Celebrate May is Museum Month and International Museum Day by visiting your local museum!
County of Simcoe is composed of sixteen member municipalities and provides crucial public services to County residents in addition to providing paramedic and social services to the separated cities of Barrie and Orillia. Visit our website at simcoe.ca.
- Simcoe County Museum was created in 1928
- The museum encompasses a five gallery facility with 16 outdoor heritage and display buildings
- Every year, more than 30,000 people flock to Simcoe County Museum to experience more than 25,000 artefacts
- Across Ontario, museums welcome 19.4 million visits annually
- Cultural visitors spend $7.7 billion dollars in the province every year
- Museums are vital tourism assets in every community in Ontario, including Simcoe County
- Saturday, May 18 is International Museum Day. Click here to learn more