*Note: not all hospitals report on weekends.
Ontario's hospitals are caring for more than 3,500 COVID-positive patients, 579 in intensive care, though not all were admitted to hospital because of COVID-19.
There are 579 patients in ICUs due to COVID-related illnesses, including 340 patients on ventilators.
On Jan. 16, Public Health Ontario is reporting 10,450 new COVID cases, however, new case counts no longer reflect COVID-19 transmission in the province as testing is reserved nearly exclusively for hospitalized patients, and residents and staff at high-risk congregate settings.
To-date, Public Health Ontario has confirmed 948,086 cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, and reported 843,073 recoveries and 10,605 deaths.
The Jan. 16 updates provided by the province's public health agency and the ministry of health also reported the following data:
- 15,317 recoveries and 40 deaths since yesterday's report. The deaths reported have all occurred within the last month.
- There are 94,408 active, lab-confirmed cases, down from 99,315 reported yesterday.
- The new cases reported today include 1,456 unvaccinated people, 360 partially vaccinated people, and 8,079 fully vaccinated people, 555 cases were reported with vaccination status unknown.
- Lab-confirmed testing is mostly limited to those who live in high-risk congregate care settings or work in them. As such a majority of the people being tested are fully vaccinated as per provincial or workplace mandatory vaccine policies.
- 3,595 people are in hospital testing positive for COVID-19. Of those, 53 per cent were admitted because of COVID-19, and the other 47 per cent were admitted for a different reason and tested positive for COVID. *Note: not all hospitals report on weekends.
- 579 people are in the ICU, 16 who are not testing positive for COVID-19. Of those, 78 per cent were admitted for COVID-19 related critical illness. 22 per cent of COVID-positive ICU patients were admitted for other reasons but tested positive.
- Included in the hospitalizations are 739 unvaccinated cases, 195 partially vaccinated cases, and 2,050 fully vaccinated cases.
- There are 327 COVID patients on ventilators testing positive for COVID-19.
- Included in the ICU counts are 195 unvaccinated cases, 17 partially vaccinated cases, and 196 fully vaccinated cases.
- The province reported 52,676 tests were processed yesterday. Another 46,834 tests are still being processed.
As of today's report, 11.5 million people in Ontario are fully vaccinated. There are 5.4 million people in Ontario with three doses of vaccine.
For more on the province's breakdown of vaccination status, click here.