SPECIAL OLYMPICS ORILLIA
Special Olympics Orillia is dedicated to enriching the lives of people with an intellectual disability through sport. Our vision is that sport will open hearts and minds towards people with intellectual disabilities and create inclusive communities.
One of the most important parts of our community are the local schools. It is important that information regarding our program is shared with teachers and parents within the school board. The information outlined below will educate those parents and teachers, and assist those who may be interested in joining our program.
Special Olympics Orillia is also looking for coaches and we reimburse the coaching certification costs. We are also looking for anyone who has an expertise in one of our sports to help our coaches.
Special Olympics Orillia has over 150 athletes, coaches and volunteers. There is always something exciting going on with our program.
Special Olympics Orillia is involved with many activities that support the community such as the Orillia Canada Day and Santa Claus parade.
We are a not-for-profit organization and rely on fundraisers, donations and parents to help support our program. On top of participating in our various fundraisers, sports and activities many of our athlete’s volunteer within the community or hold full and part time jobs at different businesses.
Special Olympics Orillia offers summer and winter sports. All athletes are charged a registration fee and tournament fee if they participate. We truly believe it makes them more accountable to the teams they join. When investing their own money, they are more likely to show up for practices and games.
- Track and field - $20, Patrick Fogarty Secondary School, 6:30 p.m., Tuesdays and Fridays
- T Ball - $20, Harriett Todd Public School, 6:30 p.m., Mondays
- Baseball (D) team - $20, Harriett Todd Public School, 6:30 p.m., Wednesdays
- Baseball (C) team - $20, Franklin Carmichael Park, 6:30 p.m., Thursdays
- Soccer - $20, Regent Park Public School, 6 p.m., Tuesdays
- Golf - $20, Hawk Ridge Golf and Country Club, 5 p.m., Mondays
- Curling - $55, Orillia Curling Club, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Sundays (October to March)
- Basketball - $20, Couchiching Heights Public School, C and D Divisions, 6 to 8 p.m., Mondays
- Bowling - $20, Orillia Bowl (plus two games each week at $11) 6 p.m. sharp Tuesdays
- Floor hockey - $20, Harriett Todd Public School, 7:15 to 9 p.m., Wednesdays
- Swimming - $55, YMCA Orillia, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., Sundays
- Must be able to swim length of pool
- Figure skating and speed skating – Must call for more info – Rotary Place