ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE
ORO-MEDONTE - The Barrie detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police arrested and charged an Orillia man in relation to several recent break and enters in Oro-Medonte.
On June 13, 2018 the Barrie detachment of the OPP received a theft call at an Oro-Medonte address on Line 15. Through investigative work, the OPP was able to identify the suspect as 26-year-old Richard Asselstine of Orillia. The suspect was also linked to several other incidents in the Line 15 area which happened on or about June 13, 2018 including several mischiefs and a stolen vehicle.
The suspect has been arrested and charged with the following offences:
- Unlawfully in a dwelling contrary to Section 349(1) of the Criminal Code.
- Six counts of trespass at night contrary to Section 177 of the Criminal Code.
- Two counts of mischief under $5,000 contrary to Section 334(b) of the Criminal Code.
- Theft under $5,000 in relation to credit cards Section 342(1)(a) of the Criminal Code.
- Three counts of theft under $5,000 contrary to Section 334(b) of the Criminal Code.
The accused was arrested on June 22, 2018 and held in custody for a bail hearing. The accused remains in custody and is set to appear on July 3, 2018 at the Ontario Court of Justice in Barrie
The Barrie OPP continues to investigate this incident. If anyone witnessed this or has information regarding the circumstances they are encouraged to contact the Barrie OPP at 1-888-310-1122.
Members of the Barrie Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police are committed to public safety, delivering proactive and innovative policing in partnership with our communities. Officers value your contribution to building safe communities. If you have information about suspected unlawful activity, please contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or visit Crime Stoppers at: www.crimestopperssdm.com or call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).