Skip to content

A view of Orillia from a church steeple, circa 1928

In our weekly trip down Memory Lane, we get a glimpse into Orillia's skyline 90 years ago
0
2018-11-24 40 Niebel
This postcard features a photo by H. R. Niebel and is dated 1928. It is believed the photo was taken from the steeple of the Church of the Guardian Angels.

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia. You can take a trip down memory lane with us each Saturday morning!

This postcard, by Orillia photographer H.R. Niebel, is dated 1928 and appears to have been taken from the steeple of the Church of the Guardian Angels.   

The street in the foreground is Neywash Street, and on the right is the playground of Central School.    

This card offers an excellent view of the town, showing the several towers and steeples that dominated Orillia’s skyline in the late 1920s.    

Near the centre of the photo are the St. Paul’s and St. James’ church steeples. The fire hall is to the right of St. James’ and further to the right, behind Central School, is the tower of Mr. Tait’s Glenorma that was located on Colborne Street.




Comments