Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.
Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.
This advertising postcard from the 1940s promotes the many reasons to enjoy your vacation at Big Chief Lodge in Orillia.
In 1926, W. (Bert) Cody purchased a large lot on what is now known as Big Chief Road. On the property was a brick farmhouse, a large barn and 750 feet of waterfront on Lake Couchiching.
The well-built horse barn was converted to a hotel with 12 bedrooms, a large living room with a stone fireplace and a dining room accommodating 70 people. Twelve log cabins were also built along the slope overlooking the lake.
The lodge opened in the summer of 1927, staffed mostly by Ardtrea area residents and was an immediate success.
In September 1933, the main lodge burned to the ground. Bert Cody immediately made plans to rebuild, deciding it would be made of stone, both inside and outside.
Bert made arrangements to use a nearby farmer's stone fence, replacing it with a new wire fence. The new lodge was complete and open for business in June of 1934 and became a popular destination for both Canadian and American vacationers for many years.