Skip to content

Busy downtown corner has been home to many businesses

Blackburn Auto was located at corner of West and Colborne in the 1940s
0
2018-12-08 42 Blackburn
This is a postcard featuring Blackburn Auto Electric Service, at the corner of West and Colborne streets, circa 1940. 

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia. You can take a trip down memory lane with us each Saturday morning!

Located at 35-39 West St. S., at the corner of West and Colborne, Blackburn Auto Electric Service was also a Dodge and Desoto dealer.   

Fred J. Blackburn was the owner and lived close by at 48 West St..

This corner is now a medical building and has been home to many businesses in between.

In October of 1956, the front of the building was remodeled by Jerry Goldberg who opened Levi’s Trading Post Furniture. Shortly after, the store became Johnson’s Furniture, and was operated by Lionel S. Johnson.   

In the early 1960s, Trent Floor Coverings was located here, with the Orillia Clothing Co. upstairs.   

The Industrial Printing and Stationery Co. occupied the corner in the early 1970s.

In the late 1980s, it was the Blue Anchor Brewery Pub and later Caddyshack’s.




Comments