Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.
Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia
Carter’s Candy Palace began in 1907 on the south side of Mississaga Street, a few doors west of the intersection with Peter Street.
By 1926, after several years of expansion and renovations, Carter’s became a popular restaurant with a banquet hall upstairs catering to local service clubs.
This photo, showing the attractive storefront with the double entrance doors, was taken shortly after renovations in the early 1930s.
Carter’s became one of the best known restaurants north of Toronto with its own candy, ice cream, bakery, soda fountain and parlour serving full course dinners.