Skip to content

Fire destroyed Simcoe Lodge, an Atherley landmark

In this week's trip down memory lane, we focus on the Simcoe Lodge, built in the early 1900s on Creighton Street
0

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia. You can take a trip down memory lane with us each Saturday morning!

This early view of Simcoe Lodge was published by the R.O. Smith Co. located in downtown Orillia. The Lakeview Hotel, later called “The Second,” is shown in the background.

The Simcoe Lodge was built in the early 1900s on Creighton Street when the main road to Brechin followed the east side of The Narrows and turned left just before the Lakeview Hotel.

This photo was taken from what is now the Atherley Community Centre Park.

The Lakeview was destroyed by fire and the three boathouses shown have disappeared.

The coloured postcard of Simcoe Lodge is dated 1924 and has a better image of the large boathouse owned by the Lodge at that time.




Comments