Skip to content

Local plant was Canada's largest manufacturer of baby carriages

Heywood Wakefield Company started in Tudhope building and expanded to new factory on Atherley Road, where the Lloyd Loom was kept busy
231 Heywood Wakefield Plant
The Heywood Wakefield Company built this new factory on Atherley Road, west of Forest Avenue, in 1947.

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.

Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.

The Heywood Wakefield Company of Massachusetts was a successful producer of wooden and rattan furniture in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

In 1921 the company expanded and acquired the Lloyd Manufacturing Company in Menominee, Mich., which manufactured rattan furniture and baby carriages.

In 1921 an assembly plant to sell Lloyd products was established in Orillia on West Street South in part of the Tudhope building.

Marshall Burns Lloyd was born in St. Paul, Minn., in 1858 and, when still an infant, his family settled in Meaford, Ont.

An inventor with unusual initiative, Marshall invented and sold fishing spears, woven clothes hampers and spring beds, all before moving to Toronto at the age of 16. In Toronto he sold soap, jewelry and general merchandise door to door.

Moving to northern Ontario, he became a mail carrier using a dog team to deliver mail between Port Arthur and Pigeon River. Next he moved to Winnipeg and made several thousand dollars selling real estate, before buying a farm in Grafton, N.D.

His parents moved to this farm and Marshall was off to Minneapolis, inventing a machine for weaving wire that gave him a partnership in the C.O. White Man. Co.

By 1900 he bought out the company and founded the Lloyd Man. Co., later moving the plant to Menominee. It was here he invented a machine known as the Lloyd Loom to manufacture wicker furniture and baby carriages.

The Orillia plant expanded to this new factory built on Atherley Road, west of Forest Avenue, in 1947, and became the largest producer of baby carriages in Canada.