Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia. Watch for this feature every Saturday morning.
The old stone mill at Atherley, circa 1915. Orchard Point Inn is visible across The Narrows. Built by Alexander Kennedy around 1850, this limestone grist mill was situated past the present ball field on the lake-side of Creighton Street. The mill had a cement pier over 100 feet long for steamboats from all over Lakes Simcoe and Couchiching to unload grain for milling. When the mill was demolished in the early 1900s, the stones were used to build other homes in Atherley.