Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.
Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.
In the fall of 1932, Hotel Champlain opened its doors at the corner of Front and Mississaga Streets. It was considered a prime location, being close to the waterfront and on the corner of Orillia’s main street and the busy Highway 11 that carried all of the summer traffic to Muskoka.
The three-storey building had a lounge and dining room for 38 guests on the first floor inside the main entrance.
A writing room with three walnut writing desks was well supplied with hotel stationery decorated with an etching of the Champlain Monument.
The basement was outfitted with a travellers' sample room with a folding wall bed permitting an economic way for a salesman to display his merchandise during the day and stay overnight in the same room.
The top two floors had 22 fully carpeted and very comfortably furnished bedrooms, each with its own private bathroom.
Eight double rooms boasted a tub and shower combination and the single rooms had shower only.
Mr. Anthony Miller, the proprietor, spared no pains to give the travelling public all the comfort of “city accommodation” during a stay in Orillia.