Skip to content

Strike up the band for this trip down Memory Lane

Pavilion and bandstand still in use in Couchiching Park
2018-09-15 32 Pavilion and Band Stand 1912.jpg
The pavilion and band stand at Couchiching Park.  

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.You can take a trip down memory lane with us each Saturday morning!

Postmarked Orillia, Nov. 16, 1912, this postcard featuring the pavilion and band stand at Couchiching Park, was sent from the Gladstone Hotel to the Nelson House, Nairn Centre, Ontario.

The bandstand and picnic pavilion were erected in 1909 on the site of the original Asylum building.   

The pavilion, built by W.H. Switzer, is still in use today at its original location.

The bandstand lost its prominent spot when the Champlain Monument was erected in 1925. At that time it was moved to its present location near the pavilion by the shore.  

The bandstand was enlarged shortly after being moved to accommodate Orillia’s growing Kiltie Band.  

The Packet and Times reports on May 31, 1928:

Summer season will be opened at Orillia on Friday evening by the first appearance of the Kiltie Band at Couchiching Beach Park. The bandstand has been enlarged. Orillia’s band has grown considerably since the days when the bandstand was designed and erected and now numbers 34 members. Five new members this year.