Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book, Postcard Memories Orillia. Look for this feature every Saturday morning!
This 1939 bird’s eye view, taken by Clifton H. Stewart, illustrates many of the very active industries on Orillia’s waterfront at the time. Both the Rolland and Ross boat liveries are shown on the bottom right. The lumber piles and sheds are part of the Canada Wood Specialty Co. located on Front Street. The Hotel Champlain is visible on the Front Street corner. Left of the town dock is the CPR station, now the Royal Canadian Legion. The box cars on the railway siding are in front of National Grocers. Visible at the corner of Matchedash and Mississaga streets is the Royal Hotel destroyed by fire around 1950.