Skip to content

Take a trip down memory lane to Main Street Orillia, circa 1912

This postcard reflects the intersection of Mississaga and Peter streets in the early 1900s
0
74 Mississaga Street c1910 - Edited
Looking west down Mississaga Street, at the corner of Peter Street, circa 1912.

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.

Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.

This postcard from 1912 provides a great view of the Mississaga Street/Peter Street intersection, with the Dominion Bank building on the right.

The large building across the intersection was the Sheppard-McCormick Block occupied by a grocery store and the Traders Bank. The bank’s trademark was a golden beaver sign over its awning. Next were the Newsletter and then the Times, rival newspapers and neighbours.

On the left, this side of Peter Street, is the Central Meat Market and Stover’s Restaurant. The sign across the intersection, on the corner building now occupied by the United Cigar Store, reads J.F. Ball & Co., Clothiers and Hatters. 

West of the corner is an ice cream sign from Carter’s Candy Palace.




Comments