Skip to content

Carter's Restaurant was the first in Orillia to offer KFC

Popular downtown eatery was destroyed by fire in 1961
2018-07-28 25 Carters Restaurant 1949.jpg
Carter's Restaurant, circa 1950.

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.

You can take a trip down memory lane with us each Saturday morning!

Mr. A.T. Carter operated a popular confectionery and restaurant located at 73 Mississaga St. E., in downtown Orillia, starting in the early 1900s. Carter’s grill underwent renovations in the mid 1940s and this undated postcard highlights the new look of the dairy counter and restaurant seating area.

The second floor was renovated into a large banquet hall where many local service clubs held their weekly meetings.

The owners in 1960 were Mrs. Nellie Carter, President; Mr. Veldon Carter, Vice-President and Aileen Carter, Secretary Treasurer.

Carter’s Restaurant advertised eat-in or take-out Col. Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken, possibly the earliest franchise in the area.

The building was destroyed by fire in 1961. Taking advantage of the increased tourist traffic heading north, the family opened the Sundial Restaurant and Starlite dining room in 1962, at the junction of Highway 11b north and the Orillia bypass.




Comments