PENETANGUISHENE – Immerse yourself in the enchanting atmosphere of winter this Family Day weekend at Huronia Historical Parks’ Mid-Winter Social, a festive event set against the historic backdrop of Discovery Harbour. Running from Feb. 17-19, this three-day celebration invites visitors to experience a variety of family-friendly activities and immersive historical encounters every day from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
“Discovery Harbour is one of Ontario’s truly unique historical sites, and the Mid-Winter Social provides a wonderful opportunity for a one-of-a-kind cultural experience with friends and family,” said Neil Lumsden, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport. “I encourage everyone to take a trip to Penetanguishene this Family Day Weekend to enjoy all the hands-on winter fun Discovery Harbour has to offer.”
The Mid-Winter Social includes activities and events for visitors of all ages and interests!
- Embark on a charming journey through Discovery Harbour’s wintry landscape with tractor-pulled wagon rides.
- Engage with skilled historical interpreters in period costumes, providing an authentic glimpse into 18th century life during the winter season, while sharing fascinating stories and presentations.
- Witness the thrill of black powder demonstrations showcasing historic muskets and firing techniques.
- Explore the rich history of Discovery Harbour through guided tours of meticulously preserved historic buildings, including the original Officer’s Quarters.
- Delight in the curated artisan market, featuring local craftsmen and artists, offering unique, handmade treasures.
- Immerse yourself in the soulful tunes and melodies of talented local musicians creating a lively and festive atmosphere.
- Satisfy your taste buds with delicious snacks served up at the Snowshoe Cafe, offering a selection of winter treats.
- Children can enjoy interactions with some of their favourite costumed characters, adding a touch of whimsy and magic to the event, perfect for family photo memories.
- Weather permitting, children can also experience the thrill of the snow tube run, while everyone can engage in the timeless winter activity of snowshoeing.
- Rise to the thrilling challenge of the Bosun's Brig Escape Room, which offers a one-hour, traditional escape room experience for groups of 4-6 people in Discovery Harbour’s historic Brig (prison building). Participants should be at least 12 years old, as there are some physical requirements. Admission for this exciting experience is $36 per person, which includes access to the Mid-Winter Social event.
Experience the perfect blend of history, entertainment, and winter joy at Mid-Winter Social this February. It is sure to be fun for the whole family. Admission is $12 per person with kids five and under admitted for free. Tickets can be purchased online at discoveryharbour.on.ca/events/mid-winter-social
In addition, we are pleased to share that, sponsored by the Town of Penetanguishene, Winterama button holders will receive $2 off their admission to Mid-Winter Social! Enjoy all the classic 76th annual Winterama activities throughout the town, then hop on the free shuttle to Discovery Harbour to enjoy the festivities there as well. This offer is valid all days of Mid-Winter Social, and visitors will need to show their button at Discovery Harbour Admissions to activate this special savings. More information on Winterama activities can be found on the Town of Penetanguishene website.