Skip to content

Fire causes estimated $250K in damage in Oro-Medonte

No one injured in Wednesday morning blaze that destroyed storage building
Fire truck with blue lights
Stock photo

A wood-storage building was destroyed and another structure was damaged in a fire Wednesday morning in Oro-Medonte.

Firefighters responded just before 10 a.m. to a property on Highway 11, between Lines 4 and 5, and saw smoke coming from a steel structure. Behind that, they discovered a wood-storage building on fire. It was destroyed.

Fire Chief Hugh Murray said the blaze started when material on the ground caught fire near an outdoor boiler/wood stove that was used to heat the house on the property. The house was not affected.

“It’s always good to make sure materials are clear around any wood-burning appliance,” Murray said.

The structures were set far back from the road, so crews had to shuttle water to the site.

No one was injured.

The cost of the damage is estimated at $250,000.


Verified reader

If you would like to apply to become a verified commenter, please fill out this form.