YMCA OF SIMCOE/MUSKOKA
From Nov. 16-23, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka, together with YMCAs across Canada, celebrate the presence of peace in our communities, and reflect on the peace-building work that happens all year both inside and outside the YMCA.
YMCA Peace Week offers activities that help children, youth and adults explore peace from personal, community and global perspectives. Collectively, YMCAs in Canada ask people to: Build community. Act for peace.
More than the absence of violence and conflict, peace is the ongoing work of building and maintaining conditions of fairness, inclusion, empathy, security, and respect for diversity. Peace-building is core to the YMCA’s commitment to strengthening the foundation of healthy communities and part of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka’s year-round programs.
“It is important that we work together to create peaceful communities where everyone feels like they belong,” says said Rob Armstrong, CEO, YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka. “By celebrating YMCA Peace Week together, we are taking a stand and creating the future we want for our community, country and world.”
When people act for peace, they build community by promoting a sense of belonging, fostering empathy and embracing diversity.
“We all have opportunities each day to choose to act for peace. They may be small actions, but they make a big difference and create a ripple effect through our community. By sharing our message of peace, we are able to inspire others to become engaged in peaceful actions,” says Armstrong.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka will celebrate Peace Week with activities to encourage everyone in the community to explore peace. Community members are invited to join Yoga for Peace at no cost, at the following YMCA locations:
- Friday, Nov. 22 – 10:15 to 11:15 a.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 19 – 7 to 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 23 – Peace Breakfast from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, Nov, 19 – 12 to 1 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 22 – 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 19 – 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. (Slow Flow Yoga)
- Wednesday, Nov. 20 – 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. (Chair Yoga)
- Thursday, Nov. 21 – 7 to 8 p.m. (Hatha Yoga)
- Friday, Nov. 22 – 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (Restorative Yoga)
- Wednesday, Nov. 20 – 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Parry Sound YMCA:
- Monday, Nov. 18 – 8 to 8:45 a.m.
Wasaga Beach YMCA:
- Tuesday, Nov. 19 – 10:45 to 11:45 a.m.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka Centres will also be displaying “Peace Trees” and organizing "Peace it Forward" activities during the week. For more information about Peace Week and details about Yoga for Peace classes, please visit here.