Skip to content

Terriers take a bite out of Newmarket, prepare to meet Richmond Hill

Local minor bantams finished second overall in regular season


The Rama First Nation Minor Bantam Orillia A Terriers placed second in regular-season action which set up a first-round Ontario Minor Hockey Association playoff match-up with the Innisfil Winterhawks.

In Game 1, Orillia trailed 2-0 through the first two periods when Brock Jeffels cut the lead to one. With minutes left, Orillia found themselves on the penalty kill and Innisfil made them pay as they buried their third of the game and won 3-1. Jackson Mitchell was in net for the loss. Assists in the contest went to Sam Laughlin and Quinn McConnell.

In Game 2, Orillia found themselves in an early hole as Innisfil jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Orillia’s Dylan Arnold scored, while Kaiden Robitaille and Dawson Mattison tallied assists to make the game 3-1. Andrew Thorn scored a power-play goal in the second to cut the lead to one with assists from Jhett Winkel and Charlie Kearns. Orillia pushed hard to get the equalizer but were unable to tie the game. Innisfil won 3-2. Sam Neely was in net for the loss.

Orillia hosted Innisfil at home for Game 3. Orillia scored the opening goal of the game on the power play when Nolan Inglis batted in a rebound off a Jhett Winkel shot, with the other assist going to Arnold. That was the only offence Orillia could generate as the Winterhawks scored six unanswered goals. Orillia lost 6-1 in the contest. Mitchell was in net for the loss.

That dropped Orillia into the York Simcoe Hockey Association playoffs, where they met the Newmarket Redmen. In Game 1, Orillia allowed the first goal of the game and trailed until Newmarket got into penalty trouble. Whyatt Winkel scored on an assist from Kearns. With the game tied, both teams tightened up defensively and the goalies made some big saves. Late in the third period, Jonah Teahen scored to put Orillia up 2-1. Neely played well to help preserve that score – and the win.

In Game 2, Orillia traveled to Newmarket and started strong when Kaiden Robitaille sent a streaking Owenn Banks in alone and he buried his opportunity. Whyatt Winkel tallied the other assist on the goal. Newmarket tied it in the middle frame. Orillia applied pressure to start the third and Sam Laughlin sent the puck past the Redmen goalie, on assists from Brock Jeffels and Kearns. The Redmen took a costly late penalty and Banks scored his second of game – on assists to Kaiden Robitaille and Inglis. Newmarket cut the lead to one, but Mitchell stymied all chances of a tie down the stretch.

In Game 3, Orillia scored early and often as they jumped out to 3-0 and 4-2 leads. Orillia did not let up, winning the contest 6-2. Orillia had strong defence and good goaltending from Neely to close out the series. Point getters for Orillia were Laughlin (1g, 3a), Kearns (2g, 1a), Jakson Gerrard (1g, 1a), Robitaille (1g, 1a), Quinn McConnell (1g), Banks (2a), Dylan Arnold (1a), Mattison (1a) and Jhett Winkel (1a).

Orillia will now face Richmond Hill in the York Simcoe semi-finals.



Verified reader

If you would like to apply to become a verified commenter, please fill out this form.