Skip to content

Cat perishes in kitchen fire at Barrie house

Several other cats survived fire Saturday on Wellington Street East

A kitchen fire was quickly extinguished by Barrie firefighters at a Wellington Street East home Saturday morning.

Barrie Fire and Emergency Service was called to the three-unit triplex at 10:20 a.m. and put the fire out in about five minutes.

“There was fire, but it’s mostly smoke damage to the whole place,” said Assistant Deputy Fire Chief Justin Gilbert.

He said the fire’s cause and damages are still being determined.

“But there was no one home in the unit where the fire started,” he said. “It’s still being determined, but my understanding is something may have been left on the stove.”

No people were injured in the fire, but there were several cats in the house. One died and the rest are fine, Gilbert said.