Skip to content

Before Champlain stood sentinel at Orillia's waterfront!

This postcard, circa 1920, captures a dramatically different lakeside landscape than today's vista
0
2019-01-12 46 Aeroplane view of the Park
This is a photo of Couchiching Beach Park, circa 1920, taken from an airplane.

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia. You can take a trip down memory lane with us each Saturday morning!

There is no date on this postcard but this bird’s eye view of the park shows the bandstand in its first location, before the Champlain Monument was erected in 1925.

The men’s bathhouse, built in 1911, can be seen near the swimming area.   

The building with the tall chimney is the old steam water pumping plant on Jarvis Street, and at the foot of Jarvis is the water filtration plant, built in 1917. 

Between the two sets of railway tracks - the C.P.R. on the right and the G.T.R. on the left - are long rows of gardens.  

We can only speculate about these gardens: Were they being maintained by the parks department for use in their flower gardens? Or were they being used by area residents for growing crops?

 




Comments