Skip to content

Central School first opened its doors to students in 1882

Building cost $12,000 and is Orillia's oldest public building with its original design
0

Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia. You can take a trip down memory lane with us each Saturday morning!

In June of 1881, the Town Council gave a grant of $9,000 for the construction of a new elementary school on Coldwater Street.

The stately two-story structure, crowned by a bell cupola balanced between a pair of chimney stacks, opened in March 1882 with a final cost of $12,000.

The principal, George Mckee, and a staff of eight teachers welcomed approximately 390 pupils to the new school.  

Central was a public elementary school until 1985.

The façade has never been altered and is the oldest public building in Orillia with its original design.




Comments