180 C.P.R. Station 1915.
Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.
Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.
The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) rail line and station was built on Orillia’s waterfront in 1911. The shoreline was filled to accommodate the new tracks and most of the boathouses between Elgin and Tecumseth Streets had to be rebuilt by the Railway.
The new CPR Station platform blocked access to the town wharf at the foot of Mississaga Street and a new public drive was required to be built around the station.
The station closed in the early 1930s and in 1935 the building was leased to the British Empire Service League. It was later purchased by the Royal Canadian Legion and after extensive renovations continues to be used today.