Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.
Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.
This postcard shows The Narrows at Atherley, looking north from Orchard Point, circa 1950.
The middle building on the left is the Harris Boat Livery built in 1937. It was constructed from cedar blocks set into concrete.
The bottom level was a boathouse and machine shop with a small apartment upstairs. It was demolished in 1990. The boathouse next to the bridge was owned by Charlie Gaudaur.
The house on the east side of the bridge is the boat livery and home of Reg Gaudaur, a popular fishing guide. Reg built this home in 1938 and lived upstairs with his family until it was torn down in 1954.
The lower section contained a shop and large boat slip where he stored a 28-foot launch named “Miss Peggy” which was built by Hunter Boats in 1939.
Reg also maintained four boat slips under the bridge next to his building to store his rental launches.