Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau. Some were previously published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia. Watch for this feature every Saturday morning.
This 1915 view of Mississaga Street, looking east from West Street, has several horses and wagons but no automobiles. The Canadian Bank of Commerce is on the left corner with the R. Ball Drug Store next door advertising cigars on its awning. On the southeast corner is The Orillia Hardware Co. with a large Sherwin Williams Paint sign. Not visible to the right is a large sign about 10 ft. by 30 ft. with the company name on it. The corner had a long history as a hardware store being established in 1880 by G.H. White Hardware. In 1906, White was bought out by S.L. Mullet and W.E. Anthony who changed the name to The Orillia Hardware Co. A comment in the November 1913 Canadian Hardware magazine describes how stove sales are promoted in the Orillia store. “In their policy of displaying goods in every possible way, the Orillia Hardware Co. have hit on a novel plan - that of displaying stoves outside. The store is located on a corner and there is a good deal of traffic even down the side street. At the rear of the store is an indent where the storehouse joins the main part of the store. A platform that extends out to the sidewalk has been erected and on fine days, one or more stoves are wheeled out on it.” Shortly after this photo was taken, Orillia Hardware Co. moved to 21-23 Mississaga Street West.