ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE
On Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018, the Orillia Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received information regarding a male who was in possession of an illegal firearm in the City of Orillia.
Orillia OPP members and Orillia Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) conducted an investigation into the allegations. On Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2018, members of the Central Region Tactics and Response Unit (TRU) and Central Region Emergency Response Unit (ERT) conducted a traffic stop and the suspect was arrested. As a result of the investigation, police located and seized a loaded handgun and quantities of cocaine, heroin, marijuana and psilocybin.
Triston John, born May 21, 1989 of Orillia, was charged with the following offences.
- Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose contrary to Section 88 of the Criminal Code
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm contrary to Section 91(1) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of loaded prohibited or restricted firearm contrary to Section 95(a) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of prohibited device or ammunition for dangerous purpose contrary to Section 88 of the Criminal Code
- Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to prohibition order contrary to Section 111.01(1) of the Criminal Code
- Careless storage of firearm, weapon, prohibited device or ammunition contrary to Section 86(1) of the Criminal Code
- Breach of firearms regulation - store firearm or restricted weapon contrary to Section 86(2) of the Criminal Code
- Fail to comply with probation order contrary to Section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of a schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking - cocaine contrary Section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Possession of a schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking - heroin contrary to Section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Numerous other drug and weapons charges
The accused has been remanded into custody and is set to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Orillia on Sept. 4, 2018.
Members of the Orillia Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police are committed to public safety, delivering proactive and innovative policing in partnership with our communities. Officers value your contribution to building safe communities. If you have information about suspected unlawful activity, please contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or visit Crime Stoppers at www.crimestopperssdm.com or call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).